Speedflex Days of Christmas – Low fat gingerbread..
This gingerbread recipe has less than half of the fat (due to the reduction in the amount of butter) when compared with the majority of gingerbread out there but the applesauce and the honey means you still maintain that Christmassy consistency.
- 3 x table spoons of unsalted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 x egg
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour (more for dusting
- 1 x tea spoon of baking soda
- 2 x tea spoon ground ginger
- 1 tea spoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tea spoon allspice
- 1/4 tea spoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, mix together the unsalted butter, brown sugar and applesauce until smooth.
- Once smooth, add the egg and fold in the honey.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and spices.
- Bring both mixtures together and stir well.
- Split the combined mixture into two parts, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Using some leftover flour, cover your worktops (this mixture is more sticky that standard gingerbread due to the applesauce and honey!) and roll out the dough to 1/4 or 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut gingerbread men with a cookie cutter.
- Place 1-2 inches apart on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.